Thursday, July 11, 2013

We are Here- Day 1

Well after traveling for over 30 hours, plane food, customs and taxis we finally made it to Bangkok and to our hotel. I've already given over 10 wais (common greeting for thais) and almost overpaid double for our taxi by being confused by Thai baht (thai currency). We have not been out yet, except for the taxi ride from the airport to the hotel, but even then, it was dark and could not see much. My first impressions are shaded by the excitement of being on the opposite side of the world in an Asian culture. Today we are venturing out hopefully to the floating market, royal palace and whatever else we stumble upon as we blindly explore the Bangkok area. The breakfast spread at the hotel this morning was vast with a huge variety of food I have never seen before or could not pronounce. I forced myself to try as many new tastes and textures as possible. We only have 2 weeks hear and I want to embrace as much of the culture, food, and people that I can. Seems very surreal that this will be our home very soon. One embarrassing moment was getting into the taxi last night and realizing I was on the driver side. The driver was waiting patiently while giggling at my mistake. I have a feeling, that a lot more humbling, embarrassing situations are still to come. Anyway, that is about it for now. Today, I am sure, will be full of new experiences and cultural observations. More to come tomorrow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment